A Novel Education's Oliver Twist course is a Level 3 8-week course in which you will learn the novel itself, how to read closely and analyze the story, plus multiple other subjects including history, geography, art, and writing.
This course isn't just about learning and enjoying Oliver Twist. Using the story as a basis for other subjects not only helps the student understand and connect with the novel better, it excites more interest in the subjects being studied.
Each weekly module contains one video lecture and includes written, hands-on, and internet assignments. Student questions and further discussion will be addressed via email and Facebook group.
Student Learning Outcomes
- A complete understanding of Oliver Twist
- An understanding of 19th century British society
- Knowledge of the geography of London and the surrounding areas
- A better understanding of 19th century art
- Essay writing and journaling skills
You will meet the objectives listed above through a combination of the following activities in this course:
- Listening to the videos once per week
- Completing the study guide chapter by chapter
- Completing the Activities for Learning assignments each week
- Completing 2 essays by the end of the course
- Completing the activities and projects for other subjects as assigned
- Copy of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
- Internet connection
- Access to email and Facebook
- Computer for viewing course videos and powerpoints and for research as necessary
- Binder or other folder to keep course work and study guide in
- Art supplies
Since before I was able to read for myself, I have been passionate about books. My time as a children's librarian and public school educator led me to the decision to homeschool my two youngest boys. From the beginning, we have used a literature-rich curriculum in our homeschool. Eight years later, I have combined all my experience and knowledge into courses to help your homeschoolers not only understand literature but use it to understand other subjects, too.
I blog at Lit Mama, providing advice and activities for creating excitement about reading in kids of all ages. My YA novel, Frog's Princess, is available at Amazon. I've been a featured writer on several sites, including Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers and Tina's Dynamic Homeschool Plus, as well as in Mary Jane's Farm Magazine.